Lahti2017 Coordination Group and World Broadcaster Meetings
With 300 days to go to the opening ceremony, the Coordination Group for the 2017 FIS Nordic World Ski Championships gathered in Lahti for two days of meetings. The organisers gave a full report on the status of the preparations and the learnings from Pre-World Championships held in Febryary.
The World Championships organisers were pleased with many of the new elements implemented during the Pre-Games and now it is time to make the final adjustments for the World Championships.
- We were very pleased with the Test Event during the World Cup, but we also recognize some areas where there is still room to improve, both at the sports venue and on the customer service side, said Lahti 2017 CEO Janne Leskinen.
- There is a new kind of confidence among the Lahti2017 team, based on the experience and learnings from the Pre-World Championships, says Sarah Lewis, Secretary General of International Ski Federation.
- The local organizing committee has put a lot of thought also into the future of the nordic skiing events in Lahti. For example, a great amount of young volunteers have already registered for World Championships, leaving a strong legacy also for the upcoming years, comments Lewis.
Ticket sales to the FIS Nordic World Ski Championships 2017 in Lahti are off to a good start. More than 30,000 tickets have already been sold. The demand has been particularly high among companies and organisations.
- When the world championships were held in Falun in 2015, the number of tickets sold four months before the event was 50,000. In other words, we can be very pleased with our ticket sales so far, says Leskinen.
Earlier this week over 70 representatives from TV companies gathered in Lahti for the World Broadcaster Meeting. During the meetings a lot of information was shared about the competition venue, schedules, production plans, technical operations, compounds and broadcasting facilities.
World Broadcaster Meeting was hosted by the host broadcaster YLE in cooperation with Lahti2017. YLE has a long history in broadcasting various skiing events.
- Yle has broadcasted competitions from Lahti first on the radio and since 1958 also on TV. By working together with Lahti2017, we will be able to offer the viewers the strong emotions and impressive stories only World Championships can offer, says Vesa Rämet, Executive Producer at Yle.
- Our common mission is to enable the viewers to closely follow the performances of the world’s best Nordic Skiing athletes as they fight for the most prestigious titles and to transmit the passion, thrill and sentiments of the event as if the viewers were there, in the heart of the action, concludes Rämet.